Every cheese has a story. Our cheese experts know the complexities and subtle hints of flavor that give each cheese in our world-class selection their distinct flavors and personalities. Explore our huge cheese counter filled with award winning Artisan, Local, Speciality and Farmstead cheeses from the Northwest and beyond.
- Complimentary samples. Try any cheese before you buy it.
- A highly trained cheese expert, or “fromagère,” on staff to educate customers.
- Cheese classes with ideas for everyone, from the beginner to the sophisticated cheese connoisseur.
- Fresh hand-stretched mozzarella.
- Exclusive cheeses like Zola, Beemster and Gothberg Chevres.
- The Largest selection of Northwest cheeses.
- Cheeses cut to your size specifications. Buy as little or as much as you like.
- Expert advice on pairings with wine, beer
or any meal.
Only available at Metropolitan Market! We've partnered with Beemster and hand selected three Goudas, aged to our specifications.
- Circa 1936 Market Creamy Gouda - Exclusively hand-picked and aged 4 months, our Market Gouda has a smooth taste with a rich and creamy texture that everybody will appreciate. Great for slicing on sandwiches or paninis and melts easily on burgers or in casseroles. Pair it with Chardonnay, Pinit Grigio and light reds like Pinot Noir or Beaujolais.
- Circa 1926 Dairy Aged Gouda - Exclusively hand -picked and aged 18 months our Dairy Aged Gouda has a rich and complex flavor with a sweet and creamy texture. Use it in macaroni, salads and casseroles and pair it with Cabernet Sauvignon, Red Bordeaux, Red Port Wine or Vintage Port.
- Circa 1620 Xtra Aged Gouda - Exclusively hand-picked and aged 26 months this Xtra Aged Gouda carries flavors of butterscotch, whiskey and pecan with a delightful finish. Shave over pastas as an alternative to parmesan, shred over carpaccio, salads or in casseroles. Great paired with Ret Port Wine or Vintage Port, Riesling Spaetlese or Cabernet Sauvignon.
Inspired from Italy, Curio Bay™ Pecorino from New Zealand has its own distinctive style. Produced from 100% sheep's milk - exclusively from their own farms - this cheese is matured for at least 5-7 months on white pine wood shelving sourced from New Zealand's West Coast forest. It is then turned and washed by hand numerous times as it ages. Its natural rind slowly develops over this time and allows the cheese to develop a rich, grainy texture.
Curio Bay™ Pecorino is less salty than Pecorino Romano with a flavor that is rich and savory, and finishes on a very clean note. The straw yellow color signifies that their sheep are exclusively grass fed. Excellent paired with barrel fermented Chardonnay or a full-bodied Pinot Noir.
Winner of New Zealand Specialty Cheesemakers' 2009 Champion Sheep Cheese award.
Read more at CultureCheeseMag.com
The Blue River Dairy was founded by a group of sheep farmers and decided to embrace the ancient Mediterranean farming practice of sheep milking and one of the New Zealand's first sheep's milk cheese factories was born. Originally located along the fertile banks of the Clutha River on the southern coast of New Zealand's South Island, the Blue River Dairy factory is now located to Invercargill in neighboring Southland. The success of the company is closely linked to the right farming land of the southern river valleys and the rolling pastures on which the sheep happily graze and provide the rich, sweet milk that creates the dairy products.