How delicious was this dish?
Josephineâ€™s Matzo Ball Chicken Soup
Recipe #702 | Serves 4-6
|1 2-3lb stewing chicken|
|2 sprigs fresh parsley|
|1 bay leaf|
|2 tbsp vegetable oil|
|1 package Matzo Ball Mix|
|4 small carrots|
|4 stalks celery|
|1 small onion|
|salt and freshly ground pepper to taste|
|unleavened crackers or matzo (optional)|
- Place the chicken, parsley sprigs and bay leaf in a large Dutch oven or stockpot. Add water to cover, bring to boil, reduce heat and simmer 1 1/2 hours until the chicken is tender.
- While chicken is simmering, make matzo balls. In a small bowl, blend 2 eggs and 2 tbsp vegetable oil. Add contents of one packet and stir with fork until evenly mixed.
- Place bowl in refrigerator for 15 minutes.
- Remove the chicken with a slotted spoon, remove the meat from bones and cut into bite-sized pieces; set aside.
- Wet hands and form matzo batter into balls, approximately 1-inch in diameter.
- Bring chicken broth to a boil; drop matzo balls, carrots, celery, onion and parsnip into the boiling broth; cover tightly, reduce heat and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Return the chicken pieces to the stockpot; season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve very hot in deep soup plates with unleavened crackers or matzoh.