Assorted Stuffed Dates Recipe
Assorted Stuffed Dates
These sweet stuffed dates are festive and delicious. In many Muslim cultures, dates are a symbol of hospitality and generosity. They are often served to break the fast during the month of Ramadan or during Eid al-Fitr celebrations. Here are five flavors we think you’ll love: orange, ginger, walnut, almond, and pistachio.
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/2 cup pistachios, toasted and chopped
- Kosher salt, to taste
- 30 Medjool dates
- 6 pieces candied orange peel, store-bought or homemade
- 6 pieces candied ginger, store-bought
- 6 candied walnuts, store-bought
- 6 candied almonds, store-bought
- Line a small bowl with parchment paper and brush lightly with neutral-flavored oil.
- In a small saucepan, heat honey until it starts to bubble. Stir in pistachios and a pinch of salt. Pour mixture into parchment-lined bowl. Cool in fridge for at least one hour.
- Cut a slit in each date. Remove pits. Stuff 6 dates each orange peel, ginger, walnut or almond, assembling 6 dates of each flavor.
- Invert honeyed pistachios onto a cutting board. Lightly brush blade of a knife with neutral-flavored oil. Slice the very sticky mixture into 1/4-inch strips, trimming to the length of a date. Stuff a candied strip into each of the remaining 6 dates.
- Line up the dates on a plate and serve!
- Cook’s Tips:
- The honeyed pistachio recipe will make more than you need for 6 dates. Store the extra in an airtight container for up to 4 weeks. Chop it up and use on yogurt, over ice cream, or just as a snack!
- Candied nuts are available in an assortment of flavors in both the cheese department and packaged snack section. Any kind will work, so choose your favorite!