Watermelon Gazpacho Recipe
Makes 4 Quarts
Watermelon makes a surprisingly delicious and refreshing stand-in for tomatoes in this adaptation of a summer classic. The sweetness is balanced by crisp cucumbers, vibrant red peppers, and savory sauces, making it perfect for a hot summer day.
- 1 small watermelon, about 4 pounds, rind removed
- 2 English cucumbers, peeled and seeded
- 2 red bell peppers, cores and seeds removed
- 1 small red onion, halved and peeled
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger root, peeled and minced
- 3 tablespoons vegan Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon Tabasco, more to taste
- 1 cup mint leaves, chopped
- 1/2 cup basil leaves, chopped
- 1/2 cup parsley leaves, chopped
- Kosher salt, to taste
- Pepper, to taste
- Extra virgin olive oil
- Aged balsamic vinegar
- Rough chop half the watermelon, cucumbers, red peppers, and red onion. Set the uncut half of produce aside. Place chopped half in a blender. Add minced ginger, Worcestershire, lemon juice, and Tabasco. Puree until smooth. Pour into a large bowl and set aside.
- Dice remaining half of produce into 1/2-inch cubes. Add to bowl of pureed soup. Stir in chopped herbs. Season with salt and pepper, to taste. Adjust other seasonings as desired.
- Cover and chill at least 4 hours before eating.
- Cook's Tips:
- If you prefer a less chunky soup, transfer half (or all) of the finished soup into a blender and pulse until desired consistency is achieved.
- A drizzle of good olive oil and aged balsamic, before serving, make for a wonderful garnish.
Nutrition:Amount Per Serving (based on 10 servings)
Calories: 80 undefined
Fat: .5 g
Saturated Fat: 0 g
Trans Fat: 0 g
Cholesterol: 0 mg
Sodium: 70 mg
Carbohydrates: 19 g
Fiber: 2 g
Sugar: 14 g
Added Sugars: 0 g
Protein: 2 g
We provide nutritional information for our delicious recipes to help you select foods that meet your health and lifestyle goals. Care has been taken to ensure the accuracy of recipes and information. Nutritional data is intended for educational purposes, and not for the diagnosis, prevention, treatment, or cure of any medical condition. Please consult your healthcare provider for specific advice on diet and health. Click here to learn how we analyze the nutritional value of our recipes.