Keto-Friendly Savory Zucchini Bread Recipe
Keto-Friendly Savory Zucchini Bread
With just 4 net carbs per serving, this savory loaf is a perfect addition to your low-carb lifestyle. Fresh zucchini, almond flour, and parmesan cheese make for a delicious combo. It just might be your new favorite! Try it toasted and slathered with cream cheese for a tasty breakfast treat.
- 2 tablespoons flax meal
- 1 tablespoon psyllium husks (See Cook’s Tip)
- 4 large eggs
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter, melted and cooled
- 1 pound zucchini, shredded
- 2 cups almond flour
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese, plus 2 tablespoons for garnish
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Butter a 9 x 5-inch loaf pan and line with parchment paper.
- In a small bowl, whisk flax meal and psyllium husks into 1/2 cup cold water. Set aside 15 minutes until mixture becomes a thick gel.
- Separate egg whites from yolks. In a large bowl, beat together egg yolks, flax gel, and melted butter. Mix in zucchini, almond flour, 1/2 cup parmesan cheese, baking powder, and salt.
- In a separate, clean, dry bowl, whisk egg whites until stiff peaks form. Add egg whites to zucchini mixture in 3 parts, gently folding to incorporate each time.
- Transfer mixture to prepared loaf pan. Sprinkle the top with parmesan cheese.
- Bake 60 to 70 minutes, rotating pan once halfway through. Bread is done when a toothpick entered into the center comes out clean (200°F on a probe thermometer).
- Cool completely before removing from pan and slicing. Store tightly wrapped in fridge up to 4 days.
- Cook's Tip:
- Psyllium husks are a great source of natural fiber. They can be found in the supplements section of your local grocery store. In this recipe, the thick gel made from the husks acts as a thickener, resulting in a more bread-like finished texture.