American Beef Pot Roast with Root Veggies Recipe
- 1 2-1/2 to 3 lbs boneless chuck roast
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1 - 2 Tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 can (14.5 oz) beef broth
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tsp dried thyme leaves, crushed
- 1 lb small red potatoes, cut in half
- 1 lb carrots, peeled, cut diagonally into 1/2 inch pieces
- 1 large onion, cut into 8 wedges
- 2 Tbsp all-purpose flour, dissolved in 1/4 cup cold water
- parsley, chopped (optional)
- Dry pot roast with paper towels. Mix salt and pepper together and season both sides of roast.
- Heat the oil in a Dutch oven or large, heavy pot. Brown pot roast in the hot oil on all sides.
- Add beef broth, garlic, and thyme to the pot and bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover tightly and simmer for 2-1/4 hours.
- Add vegetables and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and continue simmering, covered, 25 to 30 minutes or until roast and vegetables are fork-tender.
- Remove roast and vegetables to a warm platter and cover with foil. Skim fat from cooking liquid if desired. Measure cooking liquid and return 1-1/2 cups to stockpot. Whisk in flour mixture. Bring to a simmer over medium-low heat, whisking continually until thickened, about 2 minutes.
- Carve the pot roast into thin slices and return to warm platter surrounded by the vegetables. Garnish with chopped parsley. Serve with the pot gravy.
Nutrition:Amount Per Serving (based on 6 servings)
Fat: 29 g
Saturated Fat: 11 g
Cholesterol: 155 mg
Sodium: 740 mg
Carbohydrates: 24 g
Fiber: 4 g
Sugar: 6 g
Protein: 42 g
We provide nutritional information for our delicious recipes to help you select foods that meet your health and lifestyle goals. Care has been taken to ensure the accuracy of recipes and information, however, it is intended for educational purposes, and not for the diagnosis, prevention, treatment or cure of any medical condition. Please consult your health care provider for specific advice on diet and health for you. Click here for more on the nutrient information of our recipes.
Ratings and Reviews
“This is a very different beef roast than ours. i made it and would call friends to eat beef roast. this beef roast will definitely be a new experience for them. ”
“How many servings?”