Raspberry-Meringue Mess Recipe
This is the MM version of a favorite British summer dessert. In late summer, replace the raspberries with blackberries or marionberries and use lemon zest instead of orange. You can prep the recipe components early in the day and assemble the dessert just before serving so the meringues stay crunchy.
- 1/2 cup raspberry jam
- Pinch of salt
- 1 Tbsp Grand Marnier or orange juice
- 3 (6-ounce) containers raspberries
- 1 package (1.6 oz) Metropolitan Market Vanilla Meringue cookies
- 1 1/4 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 Tbsp orange zest
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 Tbsp sugar
- 1/4 cup roasted, salted pistachios, chopped
- Combine jam and salt in a small saucepan. Place over medium heat and simmer until the jam melts. Add the Grand Marnier and simmer 1 minute. Remove from the heat and transfer to a medium bowl. Add raspberries to the jam mixture and gently stir to coat berries with the sauce.
- Transfer cookies to a rimmed sheet pan and lightly press each cookie to break into a few pieces. Broil until toasted and lightly browned, watching closely, 1 to 2 minutes. Set aside to cool.
- Combine cream, sour cream, orange zest, vanilla, and sugar in a medium mixing bowl; using an electric mixer, mix on medium-high until soft peaks form, about 3 minutes.
- Into 6 serving glasses or bowls, layer half of whipped cream mixture, half of berries and half of toasted meringues; repeat to make a second layer. Garnish with pistachios and serve.