Chicken Pozole Verde Recipe
- 1 pound tomatillos, husked and rinsed
- 1 medium yellow onion, roughly chopped
- 2 poblano chiles, seeded and quartered
- 2 jalapeño chiles, stems removed
- 2 cloves garlic
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil, divided use
- 6 cups low-sodium chicken broth, divided use
- 1 (25 ounce) can hominy, drained and rinsed
- 3 cups shredded rotisserie chicken or roasted turkey
- 1/2 bunch cilantro, chopped
- Kosher salt, to taste
- Pepper, to taste
- 1 lime, cut into wedges
- 1/2 cup Mexican crema or sour cream
- 1 large avocado, cut into 1/2-inch chunks
- 1/2 bunch radish, thinly sliced
- Preheat oven to 450°F.
- Place tomatillos, onion, chiles, and garlic on a foil-lined baking sheet. Drizzle with 1 tablespoon oil and toss to coat. Spread ingredients in a single layer. Roast 10 to 15 minutes, tossing occasionally, until vegetables are soft and charred in spots. When cool enough to handle, peel away and discard any charred or loose pieces of skin from chiles.
- Transfer roasted vegetables to a food processor. Add 1 cup broth and purée until smooth. Set aside.
- Heat a large saucepan or Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add remaining 1 tablespoon oil. Once shimmering, add tomatillo purée all at once. Simmer, stirring, until slightly thickened, about 5 minutes. Add remaining broth and hominy. Return to simmer and cook 15 minutes.
- Add chicken and simmer until heated through, about 5 minutes. Stir in cilantro. Season with salt and pepper, to taste.
- Ladle pozole into bowls and serve with optional garnishes on the side.
Nutrition:Amount Per Serving (based on 6 servings)
Fat: 22 g
Saturated Fat: 7 g
Cholesterol: 60 mg
Sodium: 730 mg
Carbohydrates: 34 g
Fiber: 8 g
Sugar: 6 g
Protein: 26 g
We provide nutritional information for our delicious recipes to help you select foods that meet your health and lifestyle goals. Care has been taken to ensure the accuracy of recipes and information. Nutritional data is intended for educational purposes, and not for the diagnosis, prevention, treatment, or cure of any medical condition. Please consult your healthcare provider for specific advice on diet and health. Click here to learn how we analyze the nutritional value of our recipes.
Ratings and Reviews
“Hearty! satisfying and easy to make. very simple to adjust the heat my family loved it ”