Carrot Ginger Recipe
Serves 4 to 6
This simple soup is bright and flavorful with a spicy gingery kick! Purchase carrots with tops and don’t let either go to waste. The greens can be made into Carrot Top Pesto. Not only does their slight bitterness complement the sweetness of the carrots in this soup, but the pesto also adds saltiness, texture, and visual contrast.
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 1 1/2 pounds carrots, chopped
- 2 - 3 tablespoons grated fresh ginger
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt, more to taste
- 3 - 4 tablespoons vegetable stock, more as needed
- 2 teaspoons rice wine vinegar
- Carrot Top Pesto
- In a large saucepan, heat 2 tablespoons olive oil over medium heat. Add onion and carrots. Cook, stirring occasionally, until translucent and fragrant, about 3 minutes. Stir in ginger, 1 teaspoon salt, and 3 cups stock. Cover and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer gently 20 to 30 minutes or until carrots are very soft. Remove from heat.
- Use a blender or food processor to whirl carrot mixture until smooth and creamy, adding more stock as needed. Stir in remaining tablespoon olive oil, vinegar, and additional salt, to taste.
- Serve warm with Carrot Top Pesto.
- Cook's Tip:
- When blending hot liquids, only fill blender base ¾ full and be sure to place a towel over the top of the lid in the event that liquid escapes.
Nutrition:Amount Per Serving (based on 6 servings)
Fat: 7 g
Saturated Fat: 1 g
Cholesterol: 0 mg
Sodium: 470 mg
Carbohydrates: 12 g
Fiber: 3 g
Sugar: 6 g
Protein: 1 g
We provide nutritional information for our delicious recipes to help you select foods that meet your health and lifestyle goals. Care has been taken to ensure the accuracy of recipes and information. Nutritional data is intended for educational purposes, and not for the diagnosis, prevention, treatment, or cure of any medical condition. Please consult your healthcare provider for specific advice on diet and health. Click here to learn how we analyze the nutritional value of our recipes.