Smoked Portobello Mushroom Quesadillas Recipe
Smoked Portobello Mushroom Quesadillas
It takes minimal extra effort to add a layer of smoky flavor to these delicious grilled quesadillas. Serve with our easy homemade salsa verde or other favorite salsa.
- 2 portobello mushrooms
- 1 red bell pepper
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- Kosher salt, to taste
- Pepper, to taste
- 4 (8-inch) flour tortillas
- 4 ounces Monterey Jack cheese, shredded
- 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro
- Ana's Salsa Verde
- Place wood chips in the center of a sheet of aluminum foil. Fold up edges to create a rim and keep wood chips from falling out. Place over low heat on one side of grill.
- Remove stems from mushrooms and wipe clean with a damp paper towel. Cut bell pepper in half from top to bottom. Remove stem, membranes, and seeds. Rub olive oil all over mushrooms and bell pepper halves. Sprinkle generously with salt and pepper on both sides.
- By now, the wood chips should be smoking. Turn other side of grill up to medium heat. Once hot, grill mushrooms and bell peppers 4 to 5 minutes per side with lid closed.
- Remove vegetables to a cutting board and slice thinly. On each tortilla, sprinkle a little cheese on one half and top with slices of mushrooms and bell peppers. Sprinkle with cilantro and a little more cheese. Fold plain tortilla half over top of ingredients and press gently.
- Carefully lay filled and folded tortillas on hot side of grill. Once underside is toasted and cheese is melted, flip and cook other side until done. Each side will take 2 to 3 minutes.
- Cut quesadillas into wedges and serve with salsa.