Bistro Salad with Warm Goat Cheese Croutes Recipe
Bistro Salad with Warm Goat Cheese Croutes
Grab a bottle of Metropolitain Champagne and start your dinner party with this French bistro classic. Rounds of Metropolitan Market Goat Cheese coated with panko or almond meal and pan-fried or roasted until warm and toasty are delicious on this salad of shaved fennel, radish, and mâche (a favorite green in France) dressed with champagne vinaigrette.
- CHEESE CROUTES:
- 4 ounces Metropolitan Market Goat Cheese, cut into rounds
- 1/2 cup plain panko, almond meal (made from ground almonds), or finely chopped nuts
- 1 Tbsp Metropolitan Market Extra Virgin Olive Oil or vegetable oil, for pan frying
- 1 head of fennel, ends trimmed, core removed, and thinly sliced
- 3 - 4 cups mâche or other tender salad greens
- 4 radishes, thinly sliced
- CHAMPAGNE VINAIGRETTE:
- 2 Tbsp champagne vinegar
- 1 1/2 tsp Dijon mustard
- 1/4 tsp minced shallot
- 1/4 tsp sugar
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp pepper
- 1/4 cup Metropolitan Market Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- To make vinaigrette, in a small bowl whisk together vinegar, mustard, shallot, sugar, salt, and pepper until salt and sugar dissolve. Whisk in olive oil. Set aside or cover and chill until serving time.
- Combine all salad ingredients in a medium bowl. Set aside.
- To make the croutes, slice cheese into 4 rounds. Place panko, almond meal, or nuts in a small bowl. If baking croutes, stir olive oil into panko (do not add olive oil to almond meal or nuts). Coat each round of cheese with crumbs, turning to coat all sides. Place coated cheese on a plate and freeze for 15 to 30 minutes while preheating oven to 375°F.
- Place frozen cheese on an oiled baking sheet and bake for 12 to 15 minutes or until hot and lightly browned. (See below to pan-fry.)
- While cheese bakes, toss salad with champagne vinaigrette and divide onto 4 salad plates. With a spatula, carefully remove each cheese croute from baking sheet and place on or alongside the salad. Serve immediately.
- To Pan-Fry Croutes:
- Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a medium nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add frozen cheese rounds and cook, turning once, until golden brown on both sides, 1 to 2 minutes. Serve as directed in step 5.
Nutrition:Amount Per Serving (based on 4 servings)
Fat: 24 g
Saturated Fat: 6 g
Cholesterol: 20 mg
Sodium: 560 mg
Carbohydrates: 20 g
Fiber: 3 g
Sugar: 5 g
Protein: 7 g
We provide nutritional information for our delicious recipes to help you select foods that meet your health and lifestyle goals. Care has been taken to ensure the accuracy of recipes and information, however, it is intended for educational purposes, and not for the diagnosis, prevention, treatment or cure of any medical condition. Please consult your health care provider for specific advice on diet and health for you. Click here for more on the nutrient information of our recipes.