Squash Blossom Quesadillas Recipe
Squash Blossom Quesadillas
This quesadilla is all about summer. Squash blossoms are low in calories, high in fiber, and mild in flavor. They're easy to prepare and delicious to eat.
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 white onion, chopped (about 1 cup)
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 12 squash blossoms, stems, sepals and stamens removed and discarded, cut into thin strips
- 1/4 - 1/2 cup coarsely chopped cilantro leaves
- 1/2 to 1 serrano pepper, minced
- 6 corn tortillas (6-inch)
- 1/2 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- OPTIONAL (for serving):
- Ana's Salsa Verde
- To make filling, place medium cast-iron skillet over medium heat. Once skillet is hot, add oil and onion. Cook, stirring often, until onion is soft and translucent. Add garlic and squash blossoms. Stir a few seconds until blossoms are wilted. Remove from heat. Stir in cilantro and serrano pepper. Scrape filling into a bowl. Wipe out pan and reserve.
- To cook quesadillas, return pan to medium heat. Add a corn tortilla. Heat a few seconds on each side, until pliable. Sprinkle with about 2 tablespoons cheese and 2 tablespoons squash blossom mixture. With a spatula, fold tortilla in half. Cook about 30 seconds, until cheese melts and tortilla is toasted. Remove to a warm plate. Repeat with remaining tortillas and ingredients.
- Serve warm with Ana's Salsa Verde.
Nutrition:Amount Per Serving (based on 8 servings)
Total Fat: 11 g
Saturated Fat: 3.5 g
Trans Fat: 0 g
Cholesterol: 15 mg
Sodium: 290 mg
Carbohydrates: 17 g
Fiber: 2 g
Total Sugar: 4 g
Added Sugars: 0 g
Protein: 6 g
We provide nutritional information for our delicious recipes to help you select foods that meet your health and lifestyle goals. Care has been taken to ensure the accuracy of recipes and information. Nutritional data is intended for educational purposes, and not for the diagnosis, prevention, treatment, or cure of any medical condition. Please consult your healthcare provider for specific advice on diet and health. Click here to learn how we analyze the nutritional value of our recipes.