How to Cook Artichokes Recipe
How to Cook Artichokes
Artichokes are extremely versatile and boast great flavor, Learn how to get the perfect artichoke, every time.
- 2 artichokes
- 2 bay leaves (optional)
- 3 lemon slices (optional)
- 2 to 4 Tbsp Metropolitan Market Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- With a knife, remove the top 3/4-inch of the artichoke. If the rest of the leaves are pokey, snip the tips off with clean scissors.
- In a non-aluminum pot (large enough to fit your artichokes side by side), add 3 inches of water. Bring to a boil.
- Place the artichokes in the pot, stem side down. Add the bay leaves and lemon slices to the water; cover and cook on medium-high heat.
- Simmer (steam) the artichokes for 30 minutes, or until the leaves are tender enough that you can pull them apart with little effort. Check the water level frequently, adding more if needed.
- Remove the artichokes. Rinse with cold water and drain in a colander.
- Drizzle with olive oil and serve with your favorite salad dressing.
Ratings and Reviews
“I was taught (or figured out) to steam the artichokes stem up/leaves down. that way the steam penetrates up into the leaves and heart, and the artichoke cooks faster and more evenly. i also add a splash of white wine and a couple of quartered garlic cloves to the cooking water.”
“In addition to your recipe i add several peppercorns, sprig of rosemary, crushed garlic clove, some salt, splash of olive oil, bay leave, a few slices of lemon. in serving use melted butter for dipping the leaves and the heart. yummmy……enjoy!!!”