Kid-Approved Grilled Cheese Sandwich Recipe
Kid-Approved Grilled Cheese Sandwich
Here’s a simple recipe for the iconic grilled cheese sandwich. Take it from here with additions and variations. Ask your kids for suggestions – they may surprise you with their creativity. If you have a panini press – use it to toast the sandwich.
- 2 slices Metropolitan Market Skagit Valley Loaf Bread, or another favorite sandwich bread
- 1 Tbsp butter
- 1/2 cup Wisconsin cheddar cheese, grated
- Optional Ingredients:
- Mustard, chutney, or another spread
- Sliced turkey, Metropolitan Market cooked bacon, thinly sliced ham, or Metropolitan Market Prosciutto
- Sliced tomato or thinly sliced apple
- Spinach leaves
- Preheat a skillet over medium heat. Generously butter one side of one slice of bread. (If you like, spread some mustard or another spread on the other side.) Place bread, buttered side down, in skillet. Top with cheese, covering the entire piece of bread. (Now’s the time to add other toppings, if using.) Butter one side of second slice of bread. Place bread, buttered side up, on sandwich.
- Cook until bottom slice of bread is golden brown. With a spatula, carefully turn over sandwich. Continue to cook, adjusting heat as needed, until bottom slice is golden and cheese is melted.
- Transfer sandwich to a plate, slice in half, and serve warm.
- Cook’s Tips:
- Turkey-Apple: Add a slice of deli turkey and thinly sliced apple.
- Cheesy BLT: Add a couple of pieces of cooked Metropolitan Market bacon and a few slices of tomato.
- Spice it Up for Mom & Dad: Tuck in a spoonful of kimchee or spread on a little sambal oelek.
- Olive You: Slather on tapenade from our Antipasti Bar