Mocha Chocolate Chunk Cookies Recipe
Mocha Chocolate Chunk Cookies
Makes approximately 3 dozen
2020 Holiday Cookie Recipe Contest Winner
Submitted by Tracie L.
As a native Seattleite, it’s no surprise that I LOVE my espresso! – Tracie L.
Because there’s coffee in it, that means we can eat this cookie for breakfast, right? See all five 2020 Holiday Cookie Recipe Contest Winners.
- Cookie Dough:
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 3/4 tsp espresso powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 cup unsalted butter (may substitute non-dairy butter), at room temperature
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 large eggs (may use egg replacer)
- 11 oz (2 1/4 cups) chopped chocolate, about 1/3-inch pieces
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/4 cup hot brewed coffee
- 1/4 cup butter, melted (may substitute non-dairy butter)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- Optional garnish:
- pearl sugar
- Adjust oven rack to middle position. Preheat oven to 350°F. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a medium bowl, combine flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, espresso powder, and salt; set aside.
- Using an electric mixer on medium speed, beat butter and sugars in a large bowl until smooth. Add vanilla. Beat in eggs one at a time, until blended. On low speed, slowly add flour mixture and beat until incorporated. With a spatula, fold in chocolate chunks.
- Drop 2-tablespoon portions of dough onto lined baking sheet. Bake one sheet at a time for 10 minutes. Let cookies cool on baking sheet for 2 minutes, then remove to a wire rack to cool completely.
- To make frosting, combine cocoa, coffee, melted butter, and vanilla in a large bowl. Whisk in powdered sugar until smooth and spreadable. (Optional: sift the powdered sugar before adding it.)
- Spread frosting on cooled cookies. Or transfer frosting to a piping bag or zip-top bag. Cut 1/8 inch off at the tip, and pipe the frosting starting in the center of each cookie. Garnish with pearl sugar.
Nutrition:Amount Per Serving (based on 36 servings)
Fat: 10 g
Saturated Fat: 6 g
Cholesterol: 30 mg
Sodium: 60 mg
Carbohydrates: 31 g
Fiber: 2 g
Sugar: 21 g
Protein: 2 g
We provide nutritional information for our delicious recipes to help you select foods that meet your health and lifestyle goals. Care has been taken to ensure the accuracy of recipes and information. Nutritional data is intended for educational purposes, and not for the diagnosis, prevention, treatment, or cure of any medical condition. Please consult your healthcare provider for specific advice on diet and health. Click here to learn how we analyze the nutritional value of our recipes.
Ratings and Reviews
“Wonderful! used semi sweet chocolate!! will make again!!!”
“I love these cookies! my new favorite!!! ”
“We made a dozen types of treats for the holiday this year. these are thevdefinte crowd favorite!!!”
“A dark chocolate 64% or higher would be ideal.”
“There is no indication of what kind of chocolate to use in the recipes. semi sweet? unsweetened? bittersweet?”