Peanut Butter-Filled Chocolate Cookies Recipe
Peanut Butter-Filled Chocolate Cookies
Makes about 2 dozen
2020 Holiday Cookie Recipe Contest Winner
Submitted by Annemarie W.
Chocolate and peanut butter. What else do you need?! – Annemarie W.
Hiding inside this chocolate cookie is a creamy, peanut butter center — yum! See all five 2020 Holiday Cookie Recipe Contest Winners.
- 3/4 cup creamy peanut butter
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 2 pinches flaky sea salt
- Cookie Dough:
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1/4 cup creamy peanut butter
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar, plus 2 Tbsp to coat cookies
- 1/2 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 1/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2/3 cup Dutch cocoa powder
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon fine sea salt or table salt
- Optional garnishes:
- 1/2 cup of melted chocolate and 1 small bag (snack pack) Metropolitan Market Virginia Peanuts, chopped
- Make filling: Line a small tray with parchment paper. In a medium bowl, mix peanut butter, powdered sugar, and salt until blended. Form heaping teaspoonful portions of filling into balls. Place on parchment-lined tray. Place tray in freezer while making the cookie dough.
- Adjust oven rack to middle position. Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Make cookie dough: Using an electric mixer on medium speed, beat butter with peanut butter, 1/2 cup granulated sugar, and brown sugar until creamy. On low speed, mix in egg and and vanilla. In a separate bowl, whisk together flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, and salt. Gradually beat flour mixture into butter mixture until combined.
- Assemble cookies: Place 2 Tbsp granulated sugar in a small bowl. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper. Remove peanut butter balls from the freezer. Form scant 2 tablespoon portions (a #40 scoop) of chocolate dough into a ball. Flatten to a disk, about 2 1/4-inches in diameter. Place a peanut butter ball in the center and wrap the chocolate dough around it to seal. Roll into a ball. Roll ball in granulated sugar and place on parchment-lined baking sheet. Flatten cookie slightly. Repeat with remaining dough and filling.
- Bake one sheet of cookies at a time on the middle oven rack for 8 to 10 minutes. Remove from oven. Cool cookies on baking sheet for 5 minutes, then transfer to a rack to cool completely. Store at room temperature in an airtight container.
- Optional garnishes: Melt chocolate (see Cook’s Tips), dip one side of each cookie in chocolate and immediately dip into chopped peanuts. Place on a rack until set.
- Cook's Tips:
- For the melted chocolate to garnish the cookies, you can prepare it on the stove or in the microwave.
- Stovetop: Break chocolate into pieces and place into a heat-proof stainless steel or glass bowl. Sit over a pan half full of gently simmering water (a bain marie) and allow the chocolate to melt, stirring occasionally.
- Microwave: Break chocolate into small pieces and place in a microwave-safe bowl. Heat for 30 seconds, stir, and continue heating in 15-second increments, stirring in between, until completely melted.
Nutrition:Amount Per Serving (based on 24 servings)
Fat: 10 g
Saturated Fat: 3.5 g
Cholesterol: 20 mg
Sodium: 125 mg
Carbohydrates: 22 g
Fiber: 2 g
Sugar: 13 g
Protein: 4 g
We provide nutritional information for our delicious recipes to help you select foods that meet your health and lifestyle goals. Care has been taken to ensure the accuracy of recipes and information. Nutritional data is intended for educational purposes, and not for the diagnosis, prevention, treatment, or cure of any medical condition. Please consult your healthcare provider for specific advice on diet and health. Click here to learn how we analyze the nutritional value of our recipes.