English Pea and Ricotta Crostini Recipe
English Pea and Ricotta Crostini
Fresh, sweet English peas served on top of crostini with a lemon-ricotta cream are an easy and beautiful spring appetizer. Serve them for a light lunch alongside a crisp green salad or cup of soup.
- 12 thin (1/4-inch) slices rustic artisan bread or baguette
- 1 to 2 Tbsp Metropolitan Market Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Ricotta-Lemon Cream:
- 1 cup fresh whole milk ricotta cheese
- 1 Tbsp Metropolitan Market Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1/2 tsp lemon zest
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Pea & Herb Topping:
- 2 cups shelled fresh English peas or frozen peas
- 1/4 cup finely grated fresh Parmesan cheese
- 1 Tbsp finely chopped fresh mint, basil, or flat-leaf parsley
- 1 Tbsp lemon juice
- Salt and pepper
- Garnishes (optional):
- fresh pea shoots,lemon zest
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Place bread slices on a baking sheet. Brush with olive oil and sprinkle lightly with salt and pepper. Bake for 8-10 minutes or until crisp.
- Combine ricotta, olive oil, lemon zest, and salt in a medium bowl. Stir to blend. Taste and adjust seasonings. (Cover and chill for up to one day before serving.)
- Prepare a bowl of ice water. Set aside. Fill a small saucepan with water and bring to a boil. Add 1 tsp salt and the peas. Reduce heat and simmer until peas are tender, about 1 minute for frozen peas or 2 to 3 minutes for fresh peas; taste for desired doneness. Drain peas and place in ice water to preserve their color. Chill for a few minutes, then drain.
- Set aside half the peas for garnish. Place remaining peas in a bowl and use a potato masher, fork, or mini chopper to coarsely mash peas. Stir in parmesan cheese, mint, and lemon juice. Add salt and pepper, to taste.
- To serve, spread ricotta on each crostini. Top with smashed peas. Sprinkle with reserved whole peas. Finish with pea shoots and freshly grated lemon zest, if desired.
Nutrition:Amount Per Serving (based on 6 servings, does not include salt and pepper to taste or in cooking water)
Fat: 12 g
Saturated Fat: 5 g
Cholesterol: 25 mg
Sodium: 440 mg
Carbohydrates: 24 g
Fiber: 2 g
Sugar: 2 g
Protein: 12 g
We provide nutritional information for our delicious recipes to help you select foods that meet your health and lifestyle goals. Care has been taken to ensure the accuracy of recipes and information. Nutritional data is intended for educational purposes, and not for the diagnosis, prevention, treatment, or cure of any medical condition. Please consult your healthcare provider for specific advice on diet and health. Click here to learn how we analyze the nutritional value of our recipes.