Carrot Soup Recipe
This simple carrot soup is ideal for chilly fall and winter evenings. It is at its best with nigella seeds (kalonji or black cumin seeds), a seasoning used Middle Eastern and South Asian cuisines. Serve the soup with a dollop of plain yogurt and warm Metropolitan Market flatbread for a light meal.
- 3 Tbsp Metropolitan Market Extra Virgin Olive Oil, divided
- 1/2 yellow onion, chopped
- 1 1/2 pounds carrots, peeled if desired, and chopped
- 4 coin-sized slices peeled, fresh ginger
- 1 tsp salt, more to taste
- 2 cups water
- Nigella seeds or black sesame seeds
- In a large saucepan, heat 2 Tbsp olive oil over medium heat. Add onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until soft and translucent. Stir in carrots, ginger, 1 tsp salt and water. Cover, bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer gently for 20 to 30 minutes or until carrots are very soft. Remove from heat. Cool to lukewarm.
- In blender or food processor, whirl carrot mixture until smooth and creamy. Stir in remaining 1 Tbsp olive oil and additional salt, as needed, to taste.
- Reheat as needed. Serve warm, garnished with nigella seeds.