Mexican-Style Sweet Potatoes Recipe
Mexican-Style Sweet Potatoes
- 3 lb garnet yams or sweet potatoes
- 3 mild or medium green chiles such as Hatch, Anaheim or poblano
- 2 Tbsp butter
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 cup milk or apple cider
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 cup toasted pepitas (pumpkin seeds)
- 1/2 cup crumbled cotija cheese
- Preheat the oven to 400°F.
- Bake the sweet potatoes in their skins until very tender, 45 to 60 minutes.
- While sweet potatoes are roasting, core and thinly slice chile peppers. Place a large skillet over medium heat and add butter. Once melted, add peppers, season with salt and pepper and sauté until soft, 6 to 8 minutes.
- When sweet potatoes are tender, cool slightly then scoop from skins into a mixing bowl. Stir or mash until smooth.
- Add milk, cumin, cinnamon, and half the peppers. Stir, taste, and adjust seasoning with salt and pepper.
- Scoop into microwaveable serving dish, top with remaining peppers. (Cover and chill for up to one day.)
- To serve, warm in a 300°F oven for 30 minutes or microwave for about 5 minutes until hot through, sprinkle with pepitas and cheese and serve.
Nutrition:Amount Per Serving (based on 8 servings)
Fat: 9 g
Saturated Fat: 4 g
Cholesterol: 15 mg
Sodium: 320 mg
Carbohydrates: 28 g
Fiber: 5 g
Sugar: 7 g
Protein: 7 g
We provide nutritional information for our delicious recipes to help you select foods that meet your health and lifestyle goals. Care has been taken to ensure the accuracy of recipes and information. Nutritional data is intended for educational purposes, and not for the diagnosis, prevention, treatment, or cure of any medical condition. Please consult your healthcare provider for specific advice on diet and health. Click here to learn how we analyze the nutritional value of our recipes.