Mussels in Curry-Coconut Broth Recipe
- 1 Tbsp Metropolitan Market coconut oil
- 2 Tbsp Thai green or red curry paste
- 1 large garlic clove, peeled and smashed
- 1 Fresno chile pepper, thinly sliced crosswise
- 1 (14 oz) can coconut milk
- 2 Tbsp fish sauce
- 1 Tbsp light brown sugar
- 2 pounds mussels, scrubbed and de-bearded*
- 1/4 cup cilantro, roughly chopped
- 1 lime, quartered
- Crusty baguette
- Heat a large saucepan over medium heat. Add coconut oil and once melted, add curry paste, garlic, and Fresno chile. Cook, stirring often, until fragrant, about 3 minutes.
- Add the coconut milk, increase heat to medium-high and bring mixture to a simmer, stirring to incorporate curry paste into the coconut milk.
- Once simmering, stir in fish sauce and sugar. Add mussels, cover pan and simmer until mussels open, about 5 minutes.
- Transfer mussels and broth to a large shallow serving dish, discarding any mussels that haven’t opened. Garnish with chopped cilantro and serve with lime quarters and crusty bread for soaking up broth.
- *To remove the beard, the filament that attach mussels to rocks, hold the mussel upright and use your fingers to pull the beard firmly down towards the hinge. De-beard mussels just before cooking.
Nutrition:Amount Per Serving (based on 4 servings)
Fat: 27 g
Saturated Fat: 22 g
Cholesterol: 30 mg
Sodium: 1420 mg
Carbohydrates: 13 g
Fiber: 0 g
Sugar: 4 g
Protein: 16 g
We provide nutritional information for our delicious recipes to help you select foods that meet your health and lifestyle goals. Care has been taken to ensure the accuracy of recipes and information, however, it is intended for educational purposes, and not for the diagnosis, prevention, treatment or cure of any medical condition. Please consult your health care provider for specific advice on diet and health for you. Click here for more on the nutrient information of our recipes.