Fresh Strawberry Ice Cream Recipe
- 1 1/4 cups whole milk
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons granulated sugar, divided use
- 2 large egg yolks
- 1 1/4 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups strawberries, hulled and roughly chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- Set up and pre-chill ice cream maker.
- To a medium saucepan over medium heat, add milk and 1 cup sugar. Stir to combine. Bring mixture to simmer, stirring to dissolve sugar. Once sugar dissolves, remove saucepan from heat and set aside.
- In a medium, heat-proof bowl, whisk to combine egg yolks, cream, and salt.
- Slowly add half the hot milk mixture to the egg yolk mixture, whisking constantly. Transfer bowl's contents back to saucepan. Place over medium-low heat.
- Cook, stirring constantly, until custard thickens and reaches 175-180°F, about 5 minutes. Do not allow custard to boil. Strain hot custard through a fine-mesh strainer into a large bowl. Whisk in vanilla. Cool over an ice bath and refrigerate until cold.
- In a medium bowl, combine strawberries, remaining 2 tablespoons sugar, and lemon juice. Lightly mash with a potato masher and refrigerate until cold.
- Add cold strawberries and any accumulated juice to the chilled ice cream base; stir. Place mixture in ice cream maker and churn according to manufacturer's instructions. Transfer to a freezer-safe container and freeze until firm.
Nutrition:Amount Per Serving (based on 6 servings)
Fat: 22 g
Saturated Fat: 13 g
Cholesterol: 130 mg
Sodium: 135 mg
Carbohydrates: 45 g
Fiber: 1 g
Sugar: 44 g
Protein: 4 g
We provide nutritional information for our delicious recipes to help you select foods that meet your health and lifestyle goals. Care has been taken to ensure the accuracy of recipes and information. Nutritional data is intended for educational purposes, and not for the diagnosis, prevention, treatment, or cure of any medical condition. Please consult your healthcare provider for specific advice on diet and health. Click here to learn how we analyze the nutritional value of our recipes.