Grilled Margherita Pizza with Fresh Mozzarella Recipe
- For the sauce:
- 1 (14 oz) can Metropolitan Market San Marzano whole peeled tomatoes
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 Tbsp Metropolitan Market extra-virgin olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- For the pizza:
- Vegetable oil for brushing grill grates
- Cornmeal or semolina flour, for pizza peel
- 2 balls fresh Metropolitan Market mozzarella, torn into bite-size pieces
- 4 medium heirloom tomatoes, thinly sliced and drained on paper towels
- 1 (16 oz) ball pizza dough
- Handful of fresh basil leaves, torn into pieces
- Flaky sea salt
- Drain and discard the liquid from the tomatoes and transfer tomatoes to a small bowl. Using an immersion blender, pulse 3 or 4 times until the tomatoes are puréed. Stir in garlic and olive oil. Taste and adjust seasoning with salt and pepper. Set aside.
- Preheat a grill to medium-high and brush grill grates with a thin coating of vegetable.
- Divide dough in half and roll out each half on a lightly floured work surface into a circle 10-inches in diameter.
- Lightly dust a pizza peel with cornmeal. Place dough rounds, one at a time, on pizza peel and carefully transfer to the hot grill. Cover, and cook until grill marks develop, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Remove dough rounds from the grill.
- Generously dust pizza peel and top with one of the crusts, grilled side up. Lightly coat crust with tomato sauce, top with sliced tomatoes and torn mozzarella; season with salt and pepper.
- Reduce grill heat to medium and transfer the pizza to the grill. Repeat process with remaining crust.
- Grill, covered, until the crust is cooked through and the cheese is melted and bubbling, 5 to 7 minutes, adjusting grill temperature as needed to prevent the crust from scorching. Remove pizzas from the grill and place on a cutting board. Sprinkle with basil leaves and flaky sea salt. Let pizza rest for 2 minutes before cutting and serving.