Grilled Margherita Pizza with Fresh Mozzarella Recipe
Grilled Margherita Pizza with Fresh Mozzarella
Serves 4 (2, 10-inch pizzas)
This easy pizza is perfect for hot summer days when tomatoes and basil are bountiful and everything is cooked on the grill.
- For the sauce:
- 1 (14 oz) can Metropolitan Market San Marzano whole peeled tomatoes
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 Tbsp Metropolitan Market extra-virgin olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- For the pizza:
- Vegetable oil for brushing grill grates
- Cornmeal or semolina flour, for pizza peel
- 2 balls fresh Metropolitan Market mozzarella, torn into bite-size pieces
- 4 medium heirloom tomatoes, thinly sliced and drained on paper towels
- 1 (16 oz) ball pizza dough
- Handful of fresh basil leaves, torn into pieces
- Flaky sea salt
- Drain and discard the liquid from the tomatoes and transfer tomatoes to a small bowl. Using an immersion blender, pulse 3 or 4 times until the tomatoes are puréed. Stir in garlic and olive oil. Taste and adjust seasoning with salt and pepper. Set aside.
- Preheat a grill to medium-high and brush grill grates with a thin coating of vegetable.
- Divide dough in half and roll out each half on a lightly floured work surface into a circle 10-inches in diameter.
- Lightly dust a pizza peel with cornmeal. Place dough rounds, one at a time, on pizza peel and carefully transfer to the hot grill. Cover, and cook until grill marks develop, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Remove dough rounds from the grill.
- Generously dust pizza peel and top with one of the crusts, grilled side up. Lightly coat crust with tomato sauce, top with sliced tomatoes and torn mozzarella; season with salt and pepper.
- Reduce grill heat to medium and transfer the pizza to the grill. Repeat process with remaining crust.
- Grill, covered, until the crust is cooked through and the cheese is melted and bubbling, 5 to 7 minutes, adjusting grill temperature as needed to prevent the crust from scorching. Remove pizzas from the grill and place on a cutting board. Sprinkle with basil leaves and flaky sea salt. Let pizza rest for 2 minutes before cutting and serving.
Nutrition:Amount Per Serving (based on 4 servings)
Fat: 24 g
Saturated Fat: 9 g
Cholesterol: 55 mg
Sodium: 650 mg
Carbohydrates: 61 g
Fiber: 5 g
Sugar: 9 g
Protein: 25 g
We provide nutritional information for our delicious recipes to help you select foods that meet your health and lifestyle goals. Care has been taken to ensure the accuracy of recipes and information, however, it is intended for educational purposes, and not for the diagnosis, prevention, treatment or cure of any medical condition. Please consult your health care provider for specific advice on diet and health for you. Click here for more on the nutrient information of our recipes.