Apple Walnut Crostata Recipe
Apple Walnut Crostata
makes 1 (9-inch) pie
The quick and easy way to enjoy apple pie without the trouble of fitting and crimping dough into a pie plate!
- 2 large baking apples (1 pound), peeled, cored, and thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 pie crust pastry (for single crust pie)
- 1/3 cup walnuts, chopped
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, diced
- 1 egg beaten with a splash of water
- Powdered Sugar
- Adjust oven rack to middle position and preheat to 350°F.
- In a large bowl, combine apples, brown sugar, walnuts, flour, salt, and vanilla. Toss to blend well.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll pie crust into a 13-inch circle. Carefully transfer to a parchment lined baking sheet either by gently folding dough into quarters or by hanging over rolling pin. The circle of pastry, once opened, will extend beyond edges of pan. This is okay.
- Arrange apple mixture in center of pastry. Sprinkle walnuts and butter over filling. Fold up sides of pastry over edge of filling, pleating to fit and form a crust to hold in apple mixture. Brush pastry lightly with egg wash.
- Bake 35 to 45 minutes or until crust is golden brown.
- Remove to a wire rack to cool slightly. If desired, dust with powdered sugar before serving.
- Cook’s Tip:
- Baking apples that hold their shape during cooking include Granny Smith, Golden Delicious, Gravenstein, Honeycrisp, and Braeburn.
Nutrition:Amount Per Serving (based on 19 servings)
Fat: 12 g
Saturated Fat: 4.5 g
Cholesterol: 15 mg
Sodium: 190 mg
Carbohydrates: 36 g
Fiber: 1 g
Sugar: 19 g
Protein: 2 g
We provide nutritional information for our delicious recipes to help you select foods that meet your health and lifestyle goals. Care has been taken to ensure the accuracy of recipes and information. Nutritional data is intended for educational purposes, and not for the diagnosis, prevention, treatment, or cure of any medical condition. Please consult your healthcare provider for specific advice on diet and health. Click here to learn how we analyze the nutritional value of our recipes.
Ratings and Reviews
“This is an easy and great recipe, well received by all. i like that it only has one crust as filling is of mega importance to me. i toast the walnuts prior to adding, 325 degree oven for 10 minutes.”