Cranberry Apple Pie Recipe
Cranberry Apple Pie
Makes 1 (9-inch) pie
The tart and tangy flavor of cranberry – along with its deep, red hue – makes it the perfect addition to classic apple pie to dress it up for the holidays.
- 12 ounces whole cranberry sauce
- 6 Granny Smith apples, peeled, cored and sliced
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 2 (9-inch) pastry pie crusts, homemade or store-bought
- 2 tablespoons butter, diced
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1 tablespoon sparkling sugar
- In a small saucepan, bring cranberry sauce to a simmer. Allow to reduce by half, stirring occasionally.
- Place oven rack in lowest position. Preheat oven to 425°F.
- In a large bowl, toss apples with lemon juice and reduced cranberry sauce.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together sugar, flour, cornstarch, spices, and salt. Pour mixture over apples, and toss thoroughly.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out half the pastry into a 13-inch circle. Transfer to a 9-inch pie dish. Trim edge of pastry, allowing it to extend 1-inch beyond rim of pan.
- Spoon apple filling into prepared crust. Scatter butter on top.
- Roll out remaining pastry to a 13-inch circle. Drape pastry over filling. With sharp knife, make a few slits in top crust for steam to escape. Trim, seal, and crimp pastry edges. Brush pastry with egg. Sprinkle with sparkling sugar.
- Place pie on parchment-lined baking sheet. Bake 20 minutes at 425°F; then reduce oven temperature to 375°F and bake for an additional 35 to 40 minutes, until filling is bubbling, and crust is golden. Check crust halfway through baking and cover edges with foil if browning too quickly.
- Cool on a rack for at least 30 minutes before serving.
- Cook's Tip:
- The trick to perfect pastry is keeping everything cold. Be sure to work quickly and not to overly handle the pie dough. Chill pie in refrigerator or freezer for 15 minutes before baking to make sure pastry is cold.
Nutrition:Amount Per Serving (Based on 8 Servings)
Fat: 24 g
Saturated Fat: 15 g
Cholesterol: 70 mg
Sodium: 400 mg
Carbohydrates: 81 g
Fiber: 3 g
Sugar: 45 g
Protein: 5 g
We provide nutritional information for our delicious recipes to help you select foods that meet your health and lifestyle goals. Care has been taken to ensure the accuracy of recipes and information. Nutritional data is intended for educational purposes, and not for the diagnosis, prevention, treatment, or cure of any medical condition. Please consult your healthcare provider for specific advice on diet and health. Click here to learn how we analyze the nutritional value of our recipes.