Crème Brûlée Recipe
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1/2 cup whipping cream
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 4 egg yolks
- 2 whole eggs
- 1 Tbsp vanilla
- 6 Tbsp brown sugar
- Preheat oven to 300°F. Heat water for water bath at this time in a kettle or pan on the stove, until almost boiling. Bring milk and cream to a boil over medium heat.
- Whisk together sugar, eggs and vanilla until it becomes pale and yellow. Add a little hot milk to the sugar and egg mixture to temper, then add rest of the milk mixture, blending well. Strain liquid through a fine mesh strainer to remove lumps.
- Pour mixture into 4 small ramekins or gratin dishes. Place ramekins in a roasting pan or casserole dish lined with a clean kitchen towel to keep the ramekins from sliding.
- Place pan in oven and pour hot water into pan, trying not to splash the custard as you pour. Hot water should come up to halfway mark on ramekins.
- Bake for 45 minutes in water bath or until the custard sets. Chill.
- Sprinkle top of each custard with brown sugar and place ramekins under broiler in the oven until sugar melts evenly and starts to caramelize. Serve alone, or with your favorite cookies or fresh seasonal fruit.