Green Beans with Almonds and Cranberries Recipe
Green Beans with Almonds and Cranberries
We like to cook the beans in boiling water, then shock with cold water to keep the bright color. At that point, they are ready for casseroles or salads. Or heat them with butter-toasted nuts as in this recipe. Thin haricots verts (French-style green beans) may cook in 2 minutes; bigger beans can take 5 or more.
- 1 lb green beans, trimmed
- 2 Tbsp butter
- 1/4 cup almonds (or another nut like pecans, walnuts, or hazelnuts), chopped
- 1/4 cup dried cranberries
- Wash and trim the green beans and cut if desired.
- Bring a large, deep skillet of water to a boil. Add the green beans and cook until crisp-tender, 2 to 5 minutes or longer, depending on the size of the beans and the doneness you desire. Check the beans every minute or so, especially if you like crisp beans.
- Drain beans in a colander and spray with very cold water for about 30 seconds to stop the cooking and lock in the bright green color. (Or put drained beans in a bowl of iced water to cool; drain again.) Set aside for up to one hour or place in a container and chill until ready to use.
- Ten minutes before serving, lightly brown the butter and almonds in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the green beans and cook until heated through, tossing gently. Stir in cranberries and season with salt and pepper.