Turkish Sand Cookies (Kurabiyes) Recipe
Turkish Sand Cookies (Kurabiyes)
Makes about 3 dozen
2020 Holiday Cookie Recipe Contest Winner
Submitted by Marlene S.V.
"My family comes from Turkey and this was a special cookie they enjoyed." – Marlene S.V.
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 Tbsp creamy peanut butter
- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup semolina or Cream of Wheat
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp cardamom, optional
- 1/4 tsp salt
- Optional garnish:
- alnut halves or pieces
- Adjust oven rack to middle position. Preheat oven to 325° F. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Using an electric mixer, combine oil, sugar, and peanut butter. Beat on low speed until blended. In a separate bowl, combine flour, semolina, cinnamon, cardamom, and salt. Stir to blend. With mixer on low speed, slowly beat dry ingredients into sugar-oil mixture. (If dough is dry, add a bit more peanut butter.)
- Shape dough into walnut-sized balls and place, 1-inch apart, on lined baking sheet.
- Flatten cookies slightly. Press a walnut piece into center of each cookie, if desired, or press with a cookie stamp.
- Bake cookies, one sheet at a time, on middle oven rack until set and very light brown, 22 to 25 minutes. Cool for a few minutes on the pan, then remove to a wire rack to cool completely.
Nutrition:Amount Per Serving (based on 36 servings)
Fat: 7 g
Saturated Fat: 0.5 g
Cholesterol: 0 mg
Sodium: 20 mg
Carbohydrates: 13 g
Fiber: 0 g
Sugar: 6 g
Protein: 1 g
We provide nutritional information for our delicious recipes to help you select foods that meet your health and lifestyle goals. Care has been taken to ensure the accuracy of recipes and information. Nutritional data is intended for educational purposes, and not for the diagnosis, prevention, treatment, or cure of any medical condition. Please consult your healthcare provider for specific advice on diet and health. Click here to learn how we analyze the nutritional value of our recipes.
Ratings and Reviews
“Unlike anything i have ever had, fabulous!! these are definitely going to be added to my recipe file. make sure to add the cardamon. ”