Yasai Yaki (Grilled Vegetable Skewers) Recipe
Yasai Yaki (Grilled Vegetable Skewers)
You’ll need 4-6 inch bamboo skewers — and plan for time to soak them in water for at least 30 minutes before using.
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 1/4 cup mirin (Japanese rice wine)
- 1/4 cup sake
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 tsp grated ginger (optional)
- 2 - 3 cups assorted vegetables cut into 1-inch pieces (see Cook’s Tips)
- 4 oz baked tofu, cut into 1-inch pieces (optional)
- 3 - 4 Tbsp canola oil
- Kosher salt
- Soak bamboo skewers in water for at least 30 minutes.
- In a small sauce pan, combine soy sauce, mirin, sake, sugar, and ginger (if using). Simmer until slightly thick and glossy.
- Thread vegetables and tofu onto skewers. Brush with oil and season with salt and pepper.
- Heat a grill or cast-iron pan over medium heat. Lay skewers on grill or in pan, brush with sauce, and cook for 3-5 minutes, turning occasionally. Brush with additional sauce on every turn.
- Cook’s Tip:
- Suggested vegetables:
- Bell peppers, 1-inch pieces
- Onions or scallions, 1-inch pieces
- Eggplant or squash, thin 1/2 inch slices
- Cherry tomatoes
- The skewers can be broiled in the oven, if you prefer.
Nutrition:Amount Per Serving (based on 4 servings)
Total Fat: 14 g
Saturated Fat: 1.5 g
Trans Fat: 0 g
Cholesterol: 0 mg
Sodium: 1200 mg
Carbohydrates: 13 g
Fiber: 2 g
Total Sugar: 7 g
Added Sugars: 1 g
Protein: 8 g
We provide nutritional information for our delicious recipes to help you select foods that meet your health and lifestyle goals. Care has been taken to ensure the accuracy of recipes and information. Nutritional data is intended for educational purposes, and not for the diagnosis, prevention, treatment, or cure of any medical condition. Please consult your healthcare provider for specific advice on diet and health. Click here to learn how we analyze the nutritional value of our recipes.