Wine Braised Short Ribs Recipe
- 1 Tbsp Metropolitan Market Olive Oil
- 2 lbs beef short ribs, cut into 3 x 2-inch pieces*
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 can (28 oz) Metropolitan Market Purely Crushed Tomatoes
- 1 cup dry red wine
- 2 tsp dry basil leaves
- 2 tsp dry oregano leaves
- 2 tsp minced fresh garlic
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Cooked soft polenta or pasta (optional)
- *The recipe calls for English-style bone-in ribs, as pictured, which hold together best. It also works for boneless beef short ribs.
- Heat oil in large Dutch oven over medium heat until hot. Place beef short ribs in stockpot; brown evenly. Remove from stockpot. Season with 1/2 tsp each salt and pepper.
- Add onion to pan; cook and stir 5 to 8 minutes or until onion is tender. Stir in tomatoes, wine, basil, oregano and garlic. Return beef to pan; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover tightly and simmer very gently 2 to 2-1/2 hours or until beef is fork-tender.*
- Remove beef; keep warm. Skim fat from cooking liquid. Bring to a boil. Cook, uncovered, 5 to 7 minutes or until slightly thickened, stirring occasionally. Season with salt and pepper, as desired.
- Serve short ribs with sauce and polenta, pasta, or potatoes if desired.
- Can be cooked in a slow-cooker, if preferred.
Ratings and Reviews
“I made this because i was at the kirkland store the day that chef john began prepping the ribs. just the aroma of the browning ribs was enough to entice me to try the recipe. i've never cooked short ribs before, and i have to say that these were amazing! i doubled the amount of ribs called for, and there was still plenty of sauce. in fact, after the ribs were gone, the leftover sauce is being frozen for use with pasta or to pour over a slow cooker pot-roast. don't want to waste a drop of it! ”