Portobello Veggie Burger Recipe
- 2 portobello mushrooms, stems removed
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup Metropolitan Market Extra Virgin Olive Oil, divided
- 3 oz halloumi cheese, sliced
- 2 tsp za'atar
- 2 pieces roasted tomato
- 2 Tbsp pesto
- 1 Tbsp mayonnaise
- Arugula or microgreens
- Preheat grill or heat a heavy skillet to medium-high heat on the stove. Brush the mushrooms with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Place your mushrooms gills side down on the hot grill or pan. Cook for 6 minutes; flip and drizzle with additional olive oil. Cook until soft but still sturdy enough to serve as a bun (additional 6-8 min).
- While the mushrooms cook. Brush the halloumi with oil, sprinkle with za'atar, and cook on grill (or stove) for 2-3 minutes per side or until slightly softened and marked by the grill.
- Mix the pesto and the mayo. Pull the mushrooms off grill, slather the inside (gills side) with pesto mayo, top with haloumi, roasted tomatoes, and greens, and top with other mushroom. Enjoy immediately.
- Cook's Tips:
- For a vegan option, substitute firm tofu for the halloumi.