Peruvian-Style Chicken with Spicy Green Mayonnaise and Pickled Onions Recipe
Peruvian-Style Chicken with Spicy Green Mayonnaise and Pickled Onions
Let your chicken soak up all the flavors of this zesty marinade, and then pop it in the oven while you make the accompaniments. For the best flavor, marinate overnight; but if you’re short on time, a couple of hours is fine.
- For the marinade and chicken:
- 1 (5-lb) chicken, spatchcocked (see Cook’s Tip)
- Peruvian-Inspired Marinade:
- 3 Tbsp Metropolitan Market Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1/2 cup cilantro, mint, or basil leaves
- 1 serrano pepper, chopped
- 1/4 cup lime juice
- 1 Tbsp lime zest
- 1 Tbsp salt
- 7 cloves garlic, chopped
- 4 tsp ground cumin
- 1 Tbsp dried oregano leaves
- 2 tsp smoked paprika
- Spicy Green Mayonnaise:
- 1 cup avocado oil or other allowed mayonnaise
- 1 jalapeño pepper, seeded and coarsely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 cup fresh cilantro, leaves and stems
- 2 Tbsp Metropolitan Market Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 2 Tbsp lime juice
- 1 tsp lime zest
- 1/4 to 1/2 tsp salt, more to taste
- Pickled Red Onions:
- 1 1/2 cups thinly sliced red onion
- 3 Tbsp fresh cilantro, chopped
- 3 Tbsp lime juice
- Pinch of salt
- 1 - 2 tsp honey or other sweetener, optional
- Combine all marinade ingredients in blender or food processor. Process until smooth, stopping to scrape the side of the container once or twice.
- Rub half the marinade under the skin of the chicken, coating breast, leg, and thigh meat. Spread remaining paste on top of the skin. Marinate at room temperature for 2 hours or chill for up to 24 hours.
- For mayonnaise, combine all ingredients in clean blender. Puree until smooth. Spoon into a bowl; cover and chill until serving time.
- For Pickled Red Onions, combine onion, cilantro, lime juice, salt, and honey (if using) in a bowl. Stir to blend. Set aside for 15 to 30 minutes or cover and chill until serving time.
- To roast chicken, preheat oven to 400°F. Place the chicken, breast up, in a 12- to 14- inch cast iron skillet, rimmed baking sheet, or roasting pan. Roast for 45 to 60 minutes, or until an instant-read thermometer inserted in thigh meat reads 165°F; if needed, cover chicken with foil after 20 to 30 minutes to prevent over-browning.
- Let chicken rest at room temperature 15 minutes before carving. Serve warm with Spicy Green Mayonnaise and Pickled Red Onions.
- Cook’s Tip:
- Ask one of our expert butchers to remove the backbone and flatten (spatchcock) the chicken for you. Spatchcocking the bird helps it cook more quickly and evenly. Try the marinade on chicken breasts or thighs, too.
Nutrition:Amount Per Serving (based on 6 servings)
Protein: 50 g
Carbohydrate: 8 g
Dietary Fiber: 8 g
Net Carbohydrates: 6 g
Total Fat: 69 g
Saturated Fat: 13 g
Trans Fat: 0 g
Sodium: 1770 mg
Cholesterol: 200 mg
Total Sugars: 2 g
Added Sugars: 0 g
We provide nutritional information for our delicious recipes to help you select foods that meet your health and lifestyle goals. Care has been taken to ensure the accuracy of recipes and information, however, it is intended for educational purposes, and not for the diagnosis, prevention, treatment or cure of any medical condition. Please consult your health care provider for specific advice on diet and health for you. Click here for more on the nutrient information of our recipes.