Summer Fruit Skillet Cake Recipe
- 4 Tbsp unsalted butter
- 1 1/2 cups packed light brown sugar, divided
- 2 cups peaches or nectarines, thinly sliced
- 1 1/2 cups blueberries
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup cornmeal (finely ground)
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3 large eggs, at room temperature
- 2 Tbsp Mm Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- Whipped cream
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- In a 10-inch cast-iron or other oven-proof skillet, combine butter and 3/4 cup brown sugar over medium heat. Stir until the sugar and butter melt into a smooth sauce. Stir in peaches and berries. Remove from heat and set aside.
- In a medium mixing bowl, stir together flour, cornmeal, baking powder, and salt.
- In another bowl with an electric mixer, beat the eggs and remaining 3/4 cup brown sugar until light, about 4 minutes. Beat in olive oil and vanilla. Mix the dry ingredients into the batter, until just combined.
- Spoon batter over the fruit and smooth out with a spatula. Bake until the cake springs back when touched, about 20 minutes.
- Place cake on a rack and cool 10 minutes. Run thin knife around edge of cake. Cover with a platter and invert. Serve warm or at room temperature with whipped cream.