Holiday Pear and Fennel Salad Recipe
Holiday Pear and Fennel Salad
Serves 4 to 6
Adorning a salad with perfectly ripe pears is a great way to showcase this sweet, beautiful fruit.
- 2 tablespoons sherry vinegar
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt, more to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper, more to taste
- 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 6 cups arugula
- 1 1/2 cups fennel, thinly sliced (See Cook's Tip)
- 1/2 cup toasted walnuts, chopped
- 2 ripe Comice pears, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup crumbled feta
- Fennel fronds
- In a small bowl, make dressing by whisking together vinegar, mustard, honey, salt, and pepper. Slowly drizzle in olive oil while constantly whisking (see Cook’s Tip). Adjust seasoning to taste. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine arugula, fennel, and half the walnuts. Add half the dressing and toss well.
- Divide salad among serving plates. Top with sliced pears, remaining walnuts, and crumbled feta. Drizzle with remaining dressing and garnish with fennel fronds, if desired.
- Cook’s Tip:
- Use a mandolin to create extra-thin fennel slices. If desired, marinate fennel in salad dressing for 15 minutes before adding to arugula and walnuts.
- Since oil and vinegar don’t mix well, slowly drizzling olive oil, while whisking constantly, creates an emulsified dressing that coats the salad beautifully.
Nutrition:Amount Per Serving (based on 6 servings)
Fat: 22 g
Saturated Fat: 4.5 g
Cholesterol: 10 mg
Sodium: 540 mg
Carbohydrates: 18 g
Fiber: 4 g
Sugar: 11 g
Protein: 5 g
We provide nutritional information for our delicious recipes to help you select foods that meet your health and lifestyle goals. Care has been taken to ensure the accuracy of recipes and information. Nutritional data is intended for educational purposes, and not for the diagnosis, prevention, treatment, or cure of any medical condition. Please consult your healthcare provider for specific advice on diet and health. Click here to learn how we analyze the nutritional value of our recipes.
Ratings and Reviews
“Loved this salad, something different to serve quick and easy to make. great for salad when having friends over too.”