Oven French Fries (Frites) Recipe
Oven French Fries (Frites)
Delicious homemade French fries don't have to be a messy endeavor with the hassle of heating a lot of oil for deep frying. This easy oven recipe yields fries that are crispy on the outside and soft on the inside with little hands-on time. Make them as the sidekick for Bistro Steak Frites, or pair them with another French favorite, Steamed Mussels with White Wine and Cream.
- 2 lb Yukon Gold potatoes
- 1/4 cup Metropolitan Market Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1/2 cup Metropolitan Market Aioli (find it in the Seafood Department)
- Preheat oven to 425°F.
- Wash potatoes. Peel if desired, but it's not necessary. Cut into 1/4-inch thick strips; try to be consistent in the size so they cook evenly. Place in water to prevent oxidation and remove excess starch. Soak for at least 30 minutes (or up to overnight refrigerated).
- Drain potatoes, and dry well with a clean towel. It's important that the potatoes are very dry. Toss with olive oil. Spread evenly in a single layer on a couple of sheet pans and sprinkle with salt.
- Bake for 30 minutes; rotate the pans and check for doneness. Continue cooking, checking every 5-10 minutes. The more cooked they look, the more frequently you need to check them; they may take around 50 minutes total. Once they are crispy on the outside, remove from oven and cool enough to eat.
- Serve hot with aioli on the side for dipping.