Chicken Posole Verde Recipe
- 1 lb tomatillos, husked and rinsed
- 1 medium yellow onion, roughly chopped
- 2 poblano chiles, seeded and quartered
- 2 jalapeno chiles, stems removed
- 2 garlic cloves
- 2 Tbsp vegetable oil, divided
- 6 cups low-sodium chicken broth, divided
- 1 (29-oz) can hominy, drained and rinsed
- 3 cups rotisserie chicken or roasted turkey, shredded
- 1/2 cup cilantro, chopped
- Salt and black pepper
- To serve:
- 1 lime, cut into wedges
- 1/2 cup Mexican crema or sour cream
- 1 large avocado, cut into 1/2-inch chunks
- 1 cup radish, thinly sliced
- Preheat oven to 450°F.
- In a large bowl, combine the tomatillos, onion, chiles, and garlic with 1 Tbsp oil; toss to coat. Spread ingredients in a single layer on a foil-lined baking sheet. Roast for 10 to 15 minutes, tossing occasionally, until the vegetables are soft and charred in spots. When cool enough to handle, peel away any charred or loose pieces of skin from the chiles.
- Transfer roasted vegetables to a food processor. Add 1 cup broth and purée until smooth, set aside.
- Heat a large saucepan or Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add remaining 1 Tbsp oil and once shimmering, add tomatillo purée all at once. Simmer, stirring, until slightly thickened, about 5 minutes. Add remaining broth and hominy, return to a simmer and cook for 15 minutes.
- Add chicken and simmer until heated through, about 5 minutes. Stir in cilantro, taste and adjust seasoning with salt and pepper
- Using a ladle, transfer posole to serving bowls and serve with garnishes on the side.
Nutrition:Amount Per Serving (based on 6 servings)
Fat: 22 g
Saturated Fat: 7 g
Cholesterol: 60 mg
Sodium: 730 mg
Carbohydrates: 34 g
Fiber: 8 g
Sugar: 6 g
Protein: 26 g
We provide nutritional information for our delicious recipes to help you select foods that meet your health and lifestyle goals. Care has been taken to ensure the accuracy of recipes and information, however, it is intended for educational purposes, and not for the diagnosis, prevention, treatment or cure of any medical condition. Please consult your health care provider for specific advice on diet and health for you. Click here for more on the nutrient information of our recipes.
Ratings and Reviews
“Hearty! satisfying and easy to make. very simple to adjust the heat my family loved it ”