Gingered Mussels Recipe
- 3 Tbsp peanut oil
- 1 Tbsp fresh garlic, minced
- 1 Tbsp fresh ginger, minced
- 2 Tbsp cilantro, chopped
- 1 Tbsp oyster sauce
- 1/2 tsp red chili flakes, more to taste (optional)
- 3 lbs fresh mussels, cleaned
- 1/2 cup rice wine or dry sherry
- In a Dutch oven or large heavy pot, heat the peanut oil. Add the garlic, ginger, cilantro, oyster sauce, and chili peppers. Cook for 1 to 2 minutes.
- Add the mussels and rice wine. Cover and cook for 5 minutes or until all the mussels are open; discard any mussels that remain closed.
- Spoon mussels into shallow serving bowls and spoon cooking liquid over mussels. Serve with cooked rice, noodles or bread, if desired.
- Mussels grow a “beard” which should be trimmed off and the shell scrubbed before cooking.