Carrot Ginger Soup Recipe
Carrot Ginger Soup
This simple soup is bright and flavorful with a spicy gingery kick! Purchase carrots with tops and don't let either go to waste. The greens can be made into Carrot Top Pesto. Not only does their slight bitterness complement the sweetness of the carrots in this soup, but the pesto also adds saltiness, texture, and visual contrast.
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, divided use
- 1 yellow onion, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 1/2 pounds carrots, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 2 tablespoons grated, peeled fresh ginger root, plus more to taste
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt, plus more to taste
- 3 cups vegetable stock, plus more as needed
- 2 teaspoons rice wine vinegar
- Carrot Top Pesto
- In a large saucepan, heat 2 tablespoons olive oil over medium heat. Add onion and carrots. Cook, stirring occasionally, until translucent and fragrant, about 3 minutes. Stir in ginger, 1 teaspoon salt, and 3 cups stock. Cover and bring to boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer gently 20 to 30 minutes or until carrots are very soft. Remove from heat.
- Use a blender or food processor to whirl carrot mixture until smooth and creamy, adding more stock as needed. Stir in remaining tablespoon olive oil, vinegar, and additional salt, to taste.
- Serve warm with Carrot Top Pesto.
- Cook's Tip:
- When blending hot liquids, only fill blender base 3/4 full and be sure to place a towel over top of lid in the event that liquid escapes.