Squash Blossom Quesadillas with Salsa Verde Recipe
Squash Blossom Quesadillas with Salsa Verde
This quesadilla is all about summer – with a filling of wilted squash blossoms, serrano chiles, white onion and melted Jack cheese. They’re perfect with Ana’s Salsa Verde – so we’ve included the recipe it’s so easy and good you’ll want to make it again and again.
- Squash Blossom Filling:
- 2 Tbsp Metropolitan Market Olive Oil or vegetable oil
- 1 cup chopped white onion
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 12 squash blossoms, stems, sepals and stamens removed and discarded, cut into thin strips
- 1/4 to 1/2 cup coarsely chopped cilantro leaves, optional
- 1/2 to 1 serrano pepper, minced
- 6 - 8 (6-inch) corn tortillas
- Salsa Verde:
- 8 ounces tomatillos, husks removed and coarsely chopped
- 1/4 small white onion
- 1/2 to 1 serrano pepper, chopped
- 1/3 cup cilantro leaves
- 1 small clove garlic, coarsely chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon salt, more to taste
- 1/2 medium avocado, diced
- Make the salsa first. Combine all ingredients except avocado in a blender container. Whirl until smooth, stopping to scrape down side of container once or twice. Taste and adjust seasonings. Scrape into a bowl. Stir in avocado. Cover and chill until ready to serve. (Keeps for a couple of days with the avocado in, or add the avocado when ready to serve)
- To make filling, place medium cast-iron skillet over medium heat. Add oil, onion and garlic. Cook, stirring often, until onion is soft and transluscent. Add squash blossoms and stir for a few seconds, until wilted. Remove from heat and stir in cilantro, if using, and serrano pepper. Scrape filling into a bowl. Wipe out pan and reserve.
- To cook quesadillas, return pan to medium heat. Add a corn tortilla. Heat for a few seconds on each side, until pliable. Sprinkle with about 2 Tbsp cheese and about 2 Tbsp squash blossom mixture. With a spatula, fold tortilla in half. Cook for about 30 seconds, until cheese melts and tortilla toasted. Remove to a warm plate. Repeat with remaining tortillas and ingredients.
- Serve warm.