Sopa de Flor de Calabaza (Squash Blossom Soup) Recipe
Sopa de Flor de Calabaza (Squash Blossom Soup)
This fresh, light soup showcases some of summer’s best produce - fresh corn and squash blossoms. Serve with griddled tortillas and your favorite cheese for a simple meal.
- 1/2 lb zucchini squash blossoms, 45 to 48 blossoms
- 2 Tbsp vegetable oil or butter
- 1 leek, white part only, chopped or thinly sliced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 3 cups chicken or vegetable broth mixed with water
- Kernels from 1 large ear white corn
- 2 medium zucchini, diced
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Chopped cilantro or fresh oregano leaves, or a combination
- 1 lime, cut into wedges
- Remove and discard stems, sepals and stamens from squash blossoms. Slice crosswise into about 3/4-inch pieces. Set aside.
- Melt butter in a large Dutch oven or other deep pot over medium heat. Add the leek and garlic. Sauté until leek just begins to brown. Add chicken broth and water. Bring to a gentle simmer and cook for 5 minutes.
- Add corn and zucchini. Simmer for 5 minutes. Stir in squash blossoms and cook for a few seconds, just until wilted. Remove from heat. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve warm, topped with cilantro and a squeeze of lime juice.
Nutrition:Amount Per Serving (based on 6 servings)
Fat: 6 g
Saturated Fat: .5 g
Cholesterol: 0 mg
Sodium: 230 mg
Carbohydrates: 9 g
Fiber: 2 g
Sugar: 4 g
Protein: 4 g
We provide nutritional information for our delicious recipes to help you select foods that meet your health and lifestyle goals. Care has been taken to ensure the accuracy of recipes and information. Nutritional data is intended for educational purposes, and not for the diagnosis, prevention, treatment, or cure of any medical condition. Please consult your healthcare provider for specific advice on diet and health. Click here to learn how we analyze the nutritional value of our recipes.