Chipotle-Rubbed Tequila Turkey Breast Recipe
Chipotle-Rubbed Tequila Turkey Breast
Serves 8 to 10
Rub a whole turkey breast with fiery chipotle rub and finish it with a tequila-spiked sauce to serve up a turkey entrée with bold flavors.
- 1 whole turkey breast, bone-in and skin-on (4 to 6 pounds)
- 1 pound multi-colored, mini bell peppers, halved and de-seeded
- ORANGE-CHIPOTLE RUB:
- 1/4 cup fresh orange juice
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons ground chipotle pepper
- 2 tablespoons kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- GLAZE, SAUCE, AND GARNISH:
- 1/2 cup apricot jam or orange marmalade
- 3 tablespoons tequila
- 1/2 cup to 1 cup chicken or turkey stock, as needed
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch mixed with water
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano leaves
- 3 limes, cut in wedges
- Kosher salt, to taste
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- In a small bowl, whisk together ingredients for Orange-Chipotle Rub.
- Rub the chipotle-orange mixture all over the turkey breast. (If time allows, cover and refrigerate overnight for best flavor.)
- Rub orange-chipotle mixture all over turkey breast. Use handle of a wooden spoon to lift skin without detaching it and rub spice mixture under skin as well as over. Refrigerate seasoned turkey overnight for best flavor.
- Place turkey in a roasting pan, breast side up. Add 1/2 cup water to pan. Roast 45 minutes. Meanwhile, make glaze by whisking together jam and tequila in a small bowl.
- Remove turkey from oven and add peppers. If needed to keep drippings from burning, add a little more water to pan. Return to oven and roast 30 minutes. Brush with glaze and roast an additional 5 minutes or until temperature of thickest part of breast reaches 165°F on a probe thermometer.
- Transfer peppers to serving platter. Carefully transfer turkey to cutting board. Cover with foil and set aside to rest 15 minutes while making sauce.
- For sauce, strain cooking juices into a glass measuring cup. Add stock, if needed, to measure 1 cup. Pour into a small saucepan. Place over medium-high heat and bring to a simmer. Stir in cornstarch-water mixture and oregano. Continue stirring constantly until sauce thickens. Remove from heat. Add salt, to taste. Transfer to a gravy boat or small pitcher.
- Slice turkey breast and transfer to platter with peppers. Add lime wedges to platter. Serve warm, with sauce.
- Cook’s Tip:
- This dish is better with Mexican oregano, which has citrus notes. However, you may also use Mediterranean oregano, which has minty undertones.
Nutrition:Amount Per Serving (based on 10 servings)
Fat: 13 g
Saturated Fat: 3.5 g
Cholesterol: 105 mg
Sodium: 810 mg
Carbohydrates: 18 g
Fiber: 1 g
Sugar: 8 g
Protein: 37 g
We provide nutritional information for our delicious recipes to help you select foods that meet your health and lifestyle goals. Care has been taken to ensure the accuracy of recipes and information. Nutritional data is intended for educational purposes, and not for the diagnosis, prevention, treatment, or cure of any medical condition. Please consult your healthcare provider for specific advice on diet and health. Click here to learn how we analyze the nutritional value of our recipes.