Lavender Spatchcock Chicken Recipe
Lavender Spatchcock Chicken
Floral notes of lavender and rosemary pair well with honey and mustard for a savory roasted chicken that will transport you to the French countryside. Save time (and effort)—ask one of our skilled butchers to spatchcock (butterfly) the chicken for you. Season the chicken the night before you plan to cook it so it can fully absorb the flavors. The baking powder in the rub helps make the skin crispy.
- 1 whole chicken, 4-5 lbs
- 1 Tbsp kosher salt
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1 Tbsp honey
- 1 Tbsp Dijon mustard
- 1 Tbsp culinary lavender
- 1 Tbsp chopped fresh rosemary
- Flaky finishing salt (such as Maldon’s)
- Using sharp kitchen shears, remove backbone of chicken. Flip chicken over and press down firmly on the breast bone to flatten bird. Pat dry with paper towels.
- Combine salt, baking powder, and pepper. Sprinkle all over chicken. For best results, leave salted, spatchcocked chicken uncovered on the lowest shelf in the refrigerator overnight.
- When you’re ready to roast the chicken, preheat oven to 450°F.
- Stir honey and mustard together in a small bowl. Crush lavender and rosemary by rubbing between fingers or smashing with the side of a knife blade. Add to bowl and combine. Rub mixture liberally all over chicken, under and over the skin. Place on a rack over a foil-lined baking sheet. Tuck wing tips under bird to prevent burning.
- Roast until the thickest part of the breast nearest the bone registers 165°F on an instant-read thermometer, about 45 minutes. If skin begins to darken, cover loosely with aluminum foil. Allow to rest for 10 minutes before carving. Sprinkle with finishing salt before serving.
Nutrition:Amount Per Serving (based on 6 servings)
Total Fat: 20 g
Saturated Fat: 5 g
Trans Fat: 0 g
Cholesterol: 125 mg
Sodium: 1220 mg
Carbohydrates: 3 g
Fiber: 0 g
Total Sugar: 3 g
Added Sugars: 3 g
Protein: 39 g
We provide nutritional information for our delicious recipes to help you select foods that meet your health and lifestyle goals. Care has been taken to ensure the accuracy of recipes and information. Nutritional data is intended for educational purposes, and not for the diagnosis, prevention, treatment, or cure of any medical condition. Please consult your healthcare provider for specific advice on diet and health. Click here to learn how we analyze the nutritional value of our recipes.