Fresh Herb and Vegetable Spring Rolls Recipe
Fresh Herb and Vegetable Spring Rolls
Colorful rolls loaded with fresh ingredients are fun to make - and delicious to eat! The ingredients and amounts are simply a guide; use what you like and have available. Roll and serve, or invite everyone to customize their own.
- 10 sheets rice paper (22-cm diameter)
- 6 lettuce leaves (green or red leaf)
- 1/4 pound thin strips tofu or cooked prawns, sliced in half along their spines
- 1 cup shredded red cabbage
- 1 cup shredded carrots
- 1 English cucumber, seeds removed, cut into thin strips
- 1 red bell pepper, cut into thin strips
- 1 avocado, cut into thin strips
- 6 stems Thai basil
- 6 stems fresh cilantro
- 6 stems fresh mint
- Peanut sauce
- Sweet chili sauce
- Fill a pie plate or other large dish with warm water. Before making each roll, dip a sheet of rice paper in water and submerge until just pliable. Lay on a clean, lint-free dish towel. If you lay it on a plate or cutting board, the rice paper will stick.
- Place desired fillings in a short row an inch below the center of the circle. Fold the bottom of the rice paper up over the fillings and tuck snugly over the top. Hold in place with one hand while carefully pulling up one side and folding it over toward the center. Roll up slightly and then fold in the other side. Continue rolling, using your fingertips to keep everything held tightly together. It may be easier to lay the lettuce down first to help contain everything. However, if using prawns, lay those down first so they will show nicely once rolled. Use fillings sparingly as too much will cause the rice paper to break.
- If preparing in advance, brush exterior of rolls with neutral-tasting oil and wrap individually in plastic wrap. Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator. Serve with peanut sauce and/or sweet chili sauce.