Cream Cheese Thumbprints Recipe
Cream Cheese Thumbprints
makes about 6 dozen
2022 Holiday Cookie Recipe Contest Winner
Submitted by Julia B.
"I was given this recipe by a college roommate over 30 years ago and have made it nearly every year since. It’s that good!" – Julia B.
Cream cheese adds a little tang to this versatile dough which can also be used for cut-out cookies.
- 1 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 6 ounces cream cheese, at room temperature
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 1/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup finely chopped walnuts
- 3/4 cup raspberry jam
- In a large mixing bowl, beat butter, cream cheese, and brown sugar on medium to medium-high speed until light and creamy. Mix in vanilla and salt.
- On low speed, add flour in thirds, beating well after each addition.
- Cover dough and refrigerate for at least one hour or, ideally, overnight.
- When ready to bake, place rack in center of oven and preheat to 350°F. Line baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Form heaping tablespoon portions of dough into balls. Roll each in chopped nuts. Arrange on baking sheets a couple inches apart. Using a flat-bottom glass, flatten balls into half-inch thick disks.
- Using a rounded 1/2-teaspoon or the handle of a wooden spoon, create a depression in each disk. Place 1/2 teaspoon jam in each depression.
- Bake one sheet a time 12 to 16 minutes until cookies are set and bottoms are golden.
- Use apricot jam with pecans or orange marmalade with pistachios. Alternatively, roll dough in granulated sugar and top with half a maraschino cherry.
Nutrition:Amount Per Serving (based on 72 servings)
Total Fat: 4 g
Saturated Fat: 2 g
Trans Fat: 0 g
Cholesterol: 10 mg
Sodium: 40 mg
Carbohydrates: 9 g
Fiber: 0 g
Total Sugar: 4 g
Added Sugars: 4 g
Protein: 1 g
We provide nutritional information for our delicious recipes to help you select foods that meet your health and lifestyle goals. Care has been taken to ensure the accuracy of recipes and information. Nutritional data is intended for educational purposes, and not for the diagnosis, prevention, treatment, or cure of any medical condition. Please consult your healthcare provider for specific advice on diet and health. Click here to learn how we analyze the nutritional value of our recipes.