Cara Cara Tahini Upside-Down Cake Recipe
Cara Cara Tahini Upside-Down Cake
Makes 1 (8-inch) cake
Show off the beautiful, reddish-pink color of sweet, tart, Cara Cara oranges in this gorgeous cake that also features a flavor boost from nutty tahini, a loose paste made from sesame seeds. Just try to resist breaking off nibbles and consuming till gone – we dare you!
- CANDIED CARA CARA:
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 3 Cara Cara oranges, sliced 1/8-inch thick
- CAKE BATTER:
- 2 large eggs
- 2/3 cup (145 grams) granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/3 cup (80 grams) tahini
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 Cara Cara orange, zested and juiced
- 3/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons (125 grams) all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/8 teaspoon baking soda
- Make candied Cara Cara: In a medium saucepan over medium-high heat, bring 1½ cups sugar and 1½ cups water to boil. Reduce heat to low, add orange slices, and simmer 15 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease a round, 8-inch cake pan. Line bottom with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, beat eggs, 2/3 cup sugar, and salt until light and fluffy. Mix in tahini and vanilla until well combined. Add all of orange zest and 2 tablespoons of orange juice. Stir.
- In a small bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, and baking soda. Gently fold into wet ingredients.
- Arrange candied Cara Cara slices in cake pan, overlapping them slightly. Reserve extra syrup. Slowly pour cake batter over slices, using offset spatula to smooth out surface. Bake 30 to 35 minutes or until a pick inserted in center of cake comes out clean.
- Cool cake on rack 10 minutes before removing from pan. To invert, place cake plate upside down over cake pan. With hot pads in each hand, grab plate and cake together. Hold plate firmly with fingertips and bottom of cake pan with thumbs. Flip both away from you, in one motion, so that the cake is now upright on the plate. Carefully remove pan and slowly peel off parchment paper.
- Brush top of cake with reserved syrup. Slice and serve.
Nutrition:Amount Per Serving (Based on 8 Servings)
Total Fat: 7 g
Saturated Fat: 1 g
Trans Fat: 0 g
Cholesterol: 45 mg
Sodium: 140 mg
Carbohydrates: 78 g
Fiber: 2 g
Total Sugar: 60 g
Added Sugars: 55 g
Protein: 6 g
We provide nutritional information for our delicious recipes to help you select foods that meet your health and lifestyle goals. Care has been taken to ensure the accuracy of recipes and information. Nutritional data is intended for educational purposes, and not for the diagnosis, prevention, treatment, or cure of any medical condition. Please consult your healthcare provider for specific advice on diet and health. Click here to learn how we analyze the nutritional value of our recipes.