Hot Chocolate Popcorn Recipe
Hot Chocolate Popcorn
makes 13 cups
The perfect snack for watching your favorite holiday movies or for tying up in cellophane bags to distribute as small gifts to neighbors and friends.
- 8 cups popped popcorn
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup corn syrup
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 3 cups chocolate puffed cereal, divided use
- 2 cups mini marshmallows
- Crushed peppermint candy
- Preheat oven to 225°F. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper and set aside. Place popcorn in a greased, extra-large bowl.
- In a medium saucepan over medium-low heat, melt butter. Carefully stir in sugar and corn syrup. Increase heat to medium-high and bring to a low boil. Mixture will become light and frothy. Stir in cocoa powder and salt.
- Remove pan from heat. Stir in vanilla; then stir in baking soda.
- Pour chocolate mixture over popcorn. Using two spatulas, work quickly to toss and coat popcorn. Spread popcorn in an even layer on prepared baking sheets.
- Bake 30 minutes, stirring every 10 minutes. Remove sheets to wire racks to cool.
- Place one cup cereal in a plastic bag and seal. With a meat pounder or rolling pin, crush cereal to a fine powder. If desired, in the same way, crush peppermint candy.
- Transfer cooled popcorn to greased bowl. Toss with remaining whole cereal, crushed cereal, crushed candy (if using), and marshmallow. Store in airtight containers.
Nutrition:Amount Per Serving (based on 13 servings)
Total Fat: 6 g
Saturated Fat: 3 g
Trans Fat: 0 g
Cholesterol: 10 mg
Sodium: 180 mg
Carbohydrates: 35 g
Fiber: 2 g
Total Sugar: 24 g
Added Sugars: 24 g
Protein: 2 g
We provide nutritional information for our delicious recipes to help you select foods that meet your health and lifestyle goals. Care has been taken to ensure the accuracy of recipes and information. Nutritional data is intended for educational purposes, and not for the diagnosis, prevention, treatment, or cure of any medical condition. Please consult your healthcare provider for specific advice on diet and health. Click here to learn how we analyze the nutritional value of our recipes.