Green Jackfruit Carnitas Tacos Recipe
Green Jackfruit Carnitas Tacos
Jackfruit cooks up and shreds similarly to pulled pork. The key to unlocking this culinary powerhouse is a layering of flavors through caramelization.
- 1 (14 ounce) can jackfruit, drained, rinsed, and drained again (See Cook’s Tip)
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 large white onion, thinly sliced; reserve and dice 2 tablespoons for topping
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt, more to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon hot pimentón (smoked Spanish paprika)
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1/4 cup vegetable stock
- 1/4 cup orange juice (1 juiced orange)
- 2 limes, one juiced and one cut into wedges for serving
- 8 to 12 small corn tortillas, warmed
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- Heat olive oil in large, heavy-bottom skillet over medium heat. Add onions and sauté until soft and caramelized, about 5 to 7 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a medium bowl, whisk together chili powder, cumin, oregano, brown sugar, 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt, and pimentón. Cut jackfruit into thin slices to break up dense core. Add to bowl. Using your fingers, mix jackfruit pieces into spice mix, rubbing the dry ingredients into the fruit’s fibers. Set aside.
- To the pan of onions, stir in garlic, tomato paste, and soy sauce. Add jackfruit and spice mixture. Cook 3 to 5 minutes, stirring just enough to keep from burning but not so much to prevent browning. The aim is deep, golden color.
- Add vegetable stock and citrus juices. Stir, scrape up, and incorporate browned bits from bottom of pan. Once liquid has been absorbed, remove from heat.
- Spoon jackfruit into warm tortillas. Sprinkle with diced onion and chopped cilantro. Serve with salsa, guacamole, and lime wedges.
- Cook’s Tip:
- To expedite the browning process, place jackfruit in middle of clean kitchen towel. Roll up and squeeze, wringing out as much liquid as possible.
- The preparation of jackfruit and spice mixture in step 2 can be done up to a day ahead. Store in refrigerator until ready to cook.
Nutrition:Amount Per Serving (based on 4 servings)
Total Fat: 6 g
Saturated Fat: 0.5 g
Trans Fat: 0 g
Cholesterol: 0 mg
Sodium: 1400 mg
Carbohydrates: 48 g
Fiber: 9 g
Total Sugar: 9 g
Added Sugars: 1 g
Protein: 8 g
We provide nutritional information for our delicious recipes to help you select foods that meet your health and lifestyle goals. Care has been taken to ensure the accuracy of recipes and information. Nutritional data is intended for educational purposes, and not for the diagnosis, prevention, treatment, or cure of any medical condition. Please consult your healthcare provider for specific advice on diet and health. Click here to learn how we analyze the nutritional value of our recipes.