Chermoula (North African Garlic Lemon Condiment) Recipe
Chermoula (North African Garlic Lemon Condiment)
Makes 1 CUP
Made from toasted spices, confit garlic, and plenty of lemon juice, you’ll be spooning this flavorful mixture on everything. Try it on grilled vegetables, roasted salmon, or for dunking your favorite flatbread.
- 1 large lemon
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 6 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons ground paprika
- 1 tablespoon coriander seeds, toasted and coarsely ground
- 1 tablespoon cumin seeds, toasted and coarsely ground
- 1 tablespoon freshly picked thyme leaves
- 2 tablespoons chopped flat-leaf parsley leaves
- Kosher salt, to taste
- Use a sharp vegetable peeler or paring knife to peel only the yellow part of the lemon rind. Slice the rind into extra thin strips and place in a small saucepan. Juice the lemon and set the juice aside.
- To the saucepan with the strips of lemon peel, add olive oil, garlic, paprika, coriander, and cumin. Cook on low heat 10 to 15 minutes or until paprika slightly darkens in color and garlic is soft and translucent.
- Remove from heat. Stir in lemon juice, thyme, and parsley. Season with salt, to taste.
- Transfer to a heat-safe jar and store in fridge for up to 4 weeks.
- Cook’s Tip:
- The olive oil will solidify if left in the fridge long enough. To thaw for use, simply place jar in a bowl with enough hot water to submerge it. Wait for oil to thaw to a spoonable consistency and stir before using.
Nutrition:Amount Per Serving (based on 8 servings)
Total Fat: 15 g
Saturated Fat: 2 g
Trans Fat: 0 g
Cholesterol: 0 mg
Sodium: 0 mg
Carbohydrates: 3 g
Fiber: 1 g
Total Sugar: 0 g
Added Sugars: 0 g
Protein: 1 g
We provide nutritional information for our delicious recipes to help you select foods that meet your health and lifestyle goals. Care has been taken to ensure the accuracy of recipes and information. Nutritional data is intended for educational purposes, and not for the diagnosis, prevention, treatment, or cure of any medical condition. Please consult your healthcare provider for specific advice on diet and health. Click here to learn how we analyze the nutritional value of our recipes.