Beef Bourguignon Recipe
- 4 slices Metropolitan Market Bacon, sliced crosswise into 1/2-inch pieces
- 2 lbs boneless beef chuck roast or stew meat, cut into 1-inch pieces
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- Vegetable oil
- 1 Tbsp minced garlic
- 2 Tbsp tomato paste
- 1/2 cup beef broth
- 2 cups dry red wine
- 2 Tbsp dried marjoram leaves, crushed
- 8 oz baby carrots (about 1-3/4 cups)
- 8 oz fresh pearl onions, peeled or frozen pearl onions, thawed
- 8 oz mushrooms, cut in half if large
- Chopped fresh parsley (optional)
- Cook bacon in Dutch oven or large heavy pot with lid over medium heat 6 to 8 minutes or until crisp, stirring frequently. Remove with slotted spoon to paper towel-lined plate. Set aside. Reserve drippings.
- Season beef with salt and pepper and lightly coat with flour. Heat 2 tbsp reserved bacon drippings in same pan over medium heat until hot. Brown half the beef; remove from pan. Repeat with remaining beef, adding additional bacon drippings or oil as needed. Remove beef from pan and pour off all but 1 tbsp of drippings.
- Add garlic and tomato paste to the pot, cook 1 to 2 minutes until fragrant. Add broth and simmer, stirring, 2 minutes or until browned bits on the bottom of the pot are dissolved. Stir in wine and marjoram. Return beef to stockpot and bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover tightly and simmer gently 1 hour.
- Add carrots and onions to the pot; return to a simmer and continue cooking, covered, 20 minutes. Stir in mushrooms and bacon; continue simmering, covered, 10 minutes or until beef and vegetables are fork-tender. Taste and adjust seasoning with salt and pepper.
- Remove from heat. Skim fat from cooking liquid, if necessary. Garnish with parsley, if desired, and serve.
Ratings and Reviews
“Love the taste and texture of this dish! my family loved it too.”