- 1/2 cup butter or olive oil
- 2 cups chopped onion
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 (11 oz.) bag Metropolitan Market Classic Holiday Stuffing Mix*
- Seasoning Packet (included in Stuffing Mix)*
- 2 1/2 cups chicken broth
- YUMMY ADDITIONS:
- Stir in 1 cup browned, crumbled sausage with broth
- Add 2 cups sliced or chopped mushrooms along with celery
- Add 2 cups diced, peeled apples along with celery
- DRIED FRUIT:
- Stir in 1 cup or more dried cranberries, dried cherries or diced dried apricots
- Sprinkle 1 cup chopped, toasted hazelnuts, pecans or almonds on top of casserole before baking
- *Instead of Metropolitan Market Stuffing Mix you can use 10 - 12 cups dry bread cubes and season with a blend of 1 Tbsp dry sage, 1 tsp dry rosemary,1 tsp dry thyme and 1 tsp dry parsley. Adjust seasoning to taste.
- Heat butter or oil in large skillet over medium heat.
- Add onion and celery and cook, stirring, until soft.
- Stir in Seasoning Packet, reduce heat to low and cook for 1 to 2 minutes.
- Stir in Stuffing Mix and broth. Mix, add salt and pepper to taste.
- Spoon into buttered 9x13-inch baking dish. Dot with extra butter, as desired. Cover with foil. Bake at 350°F for 20 to 30 minutes or until hot; uncover and bake for 5 minutes or until brown.
Ratings and Reviews
“I made this with the addition of sausage and my family loved it. i think i'll try it with apples and sausage next time.”