Herb Seasoned Rib Roast with Red Wine Pan Sauce Recipe
Herb Seasoned Rib Roast with Red Wine Pan Sauce
Roast beef with red wine sauce is perfect for a weekend dinner or a celebration. To complete the meal, roast seasoned new potatoes in the oven with the beef and serve with a green salad.
- 1 (4 to 6 lbs) beef rib roast, well-trimmed
- SALT SEASONING:
- 2 Tbsp steak seasoning blend or pepper seasoning blend*
- 2 tsp dried oregano leaves
- 2 tsp dried thyme leaves
- RED WINE PAN SAUCE:
- 3/4 cup dry red wine
- 2 Tbsp unsalted butter, softened
- 1/4 cup red onion, finely chopped
- 2 Tbsp all-purpose flour
- 1 can (13-3/4 to 14-1/2 oz) ready-to-serve beef broth
- *Or use 2 tsp salt and 1-1/2 tsp ground black pepper instead of steak seasoning blend
- Heat oven to 350°F. Combine seasoning ingredients; press evenly onto all surfaces of beef roast.
- Place roast, fat side up, in shallow roasting pan. Do not add water or cover. Roast in 350°F oven 1-3/4 to 2-1/4 hours for medium rare; 2-1/4 to 2-3/4 hours for medium doneness. Roast is done when internal temperature registers 135°F for medium rare; 145°F for medium.
- Transfer roast to warm platter; tent loosely with aluminum foil. Let stand 15 to 20 minutes. (Temperature will continue to rise about 10 to 15°F to reach 145°F for medium rare; 160°F for medium.)
- Meanwhile prepare Red Wine Pan sauce. Skim fat from pan drippings, reserving 1 Tbsp of fat. Place roasting pan over medium heat and add wine. Cook and stir 1 to 2 minutes or until browned bits attached to pan are dissolved. Set aside.
- Heat the reserved 1 Tbsp fat and 2 Tbsp butter in 3-quart saucepan over medium heat until hot. Add chopped onion; cook and stir 1 to 2 minutes or until soft. Stir in the flour, then beef broth, stir and bring to a boil. Add wine mixture from roasting pan to saucepan. Allow to simmer over medium-high heat. Cook, stirring often, about 5 minutes or until reduced to about 1-1/3 cups. Taste and adjust seasoning, adding salt, pepper or a splash more wine if desired.
- Carve roast into slices. Serve with wine sauce.
Nutrition:Amount Per Serving (based on 8 servings)
Fat: 12 g
Saturated Fat: 5 g
Cholesterol: 155 mg
Sodium: 520 mg
Carbohydrates: 6 g
Fiber: 0 g
Sugar: 0 g
Protein: 48 g
We provide nutritional information for our delicious recipes to help you select foods that meet your health and lifestyle goals. Care has been taken to ensure the accuracy of recipes and information, however, it is intended for educational purposes, and not for the diagnosis, prevention, treatment or cure of any medical condition. Please consult your health care provider for specific advice on diet and health for you. Click here for more on the nutrient information of our recipes.